Wednesday 31 January 2007

American Ninja (1985)

Without a doubt, this is the greatest movie ever made about American born ninjas (yes, even better than the 3 Ninjas quadrilogy!).

Michael Dudikoff (or as I like to pronounce - dudey-cough) plays loose cannon Joe Armstrong, an orphan raised as a ninja by Gandhi (or at least his lookalike).

Unfortunately the young Joe has an accident hence the obligatory 80's defining amnesia plot. Lost and out of control he does the only logical thing and signs up with America's finest - the army, god bless!

The rest of the film is a bit of a blur, I think he gets his pony stolen by some French drug baron which forces Joe to break a few rules and sneak around in his Ninja costume looking for clues, taking out the occasional Mexican in armed combat and uncovering some double crossing traitors within the army.

He has help along the way from his best buddy Curtis Jackson, a pumped up psyched out captain played by the awesome Steve James (R.I.P) - an actor who unfortunately never made it past 'hero sidekick' but certainly kicks some ass in this film (see below).

Steve James

This film is probably better known for its many crappy sequels, non of which I've seen yet although I'm sure I will at some point.

Anyhoo, find below the trailer courtesy of YouTube - I tried to rip it direct from my dvd but for some reason it didn't work this time.

Enjoy!